You know when you have an idea in your head for a long time but never actually act on it (and your brain is screaming JUST DO IT!) – yeah…this series idea has been rattling around in my brain for a long time and it’s about time we just start. At the beginning of each new month, I will give you a round-up or reflection of my favorite things/adventures/restaurants visited/photos and everything else in between from the previous month that I think is worth sharing.
For the Month of January – it started out sunny and beautiful in Belize and quickly turned rainy and cold in San Francisco. Every weekend seemed to be jam-packed with events; football, birthday gatherings, holiday party (my office does theirs in January), visiting relatives etc. Here’s hoping February is a little more mellow (even though this past month was a BLAST)!
I would love to hear other topics or areas that you might be interested in getting to know – I’m thinking next month there will be a section of Wine Consumed…never know when you need a good bottle recommendation. I look forward to sharing a bit more about myself with you and hearing what some of your favorites are!
This was a new years goal of mine to read between 6-12 books – off to a good start:
- The Choice – Nicholas Sparks – do not make fun of me…we all need some N. Sparks in our lives sometimes
- Blood Butter & Bones (just started)
What are some of your favorite books you would recommend?
This month was restaurant/wine bar heavy because of SF Restaurant Week and several birthdays…no judging…
- Plow – Potrero Hill | Californian – LONG wait but would absolutely go back – great brunch*
- Central Kitchen – Mission | Californian– classic, just redid their menu/decor – went for apps**
- Trick Dog – Mission| Cocktail Bar – LOVE this place – drinks are a 10/10 – new menu fashioned after San Francisco art scene**
- flour + water – Mission | Italian Cuisine– pasta pasta pasta and it NEVER disappoints**
- Bellota – SoMa| Spanish – go. now. and get the dual paella so you can try two types!*
- Nomica – Mission| Japanese – sister restaurant to Sushi Ran in Sausalito but definitely not the little sister in quality – awesome menu/drink menu*
- Homegrown – FiDi | Sandwiches – hailing fro Seattle, this new addition to the FiDi is REALLY exciting for me – great food, great business model “sustainable sandwiches” – love this place**
- Cafe Reveille – Mission Bay | Cafe – this gem is the cafe concept from Reveille Coffee and is the ideal place to walk on weekends for a great cup of coffee and some killer avocado toast**
- Trace – SoMa | California – SF Restaurant Week – in the W Hotel – very “hip” Vegas-like vibe*
- Namu Gaji – Mission | Asian – SF Restaurant Week – wonderful selection from their full menu, very friendly staff!*
- Joe & the Juice – FiDi | Juice Bar – you know when you walk by a restaurant being built for some time and one day it’s just magically open? That was Joe & the Juice for me – great sandwiches and juices and awesome Euro vibe*
- Dirty Habit – SoMa | New American – on the 5th floor of Hotel Zelos, great for after work cocktails and bites – hip and “upscale” vibe – when it’s nicer out check out their outdoor patio!**
- As Quoted – Presidio Heights | American – I have been here several times and this “farm-to-table” breakfast/lunch spot is a top 10 favorite**
- Barrel House Tavern – Sausalito | Californian – we went and met two good friends here for dinner and loved the sleepy Sausalito feel along with a great menu which felt more upscale than I would have assumed – the food was wonderful!*
- Nido – Oakland | Mexican – this gem is quite literally on the on-ramp to the freeway in Oakland – totally unassuming with an amazing menu and awesome Spicy Paloma!*
- Lazy Bear – Misson | New American – there are no words for how much I love this place. I went for the second time for a friend’s birthday and it was just as special as the first time I went. See my post with photos from my birthday last year! **
- Zinc Cafe – Corona del Mar | Cafe/Sandwiches – while we were in Newport Beach, we met some friends for breakfast at Zinc – this was actually my second time here and I loved it the second time as much as the first. Really busy but really good food.**
- The Ramen Bar – FiDi | Ramen – Michael Mina staple in the FiDi and across the street from my office…perfect for lunch (order ahead online and skip the line!)**
*new restaurant, **old favorite
- Newport Beach – Resort at Pelican Hill – this place is truly one one of the most breathtaking resorts I have ever been to. Sprawling, sophisticated and totally service oriented. If you are willing to splurge (maybe a girls weekend?!) I would recommend staying here. The spa facilities (massages, facials nails etc. extra) and gym are included with your stay which is a huge plus.
- Belize – I promise, promise, promise, this post is almost done…
- Be Useful – This is an older article but I have found myself drawn back to it and reading it month to month and always sharing with other people
- GeoGuessr – one of my coworkers sent this website to me – play it and you will become addicted – you might just learn something about maps and geography!
- 5 Ingredient Dinners? Yes, please.
- What is your secret weapon? For some its reading #goals
- Wine School – The NY Times has a Wine School where you can learn about all of your favorite wines – awesome resource and free!!
- How I Built This – Podcast – fascinating episodes about how some of the biggest and well-known brands came to be straight from the mouth of the people that started them – LOVE this podcast from NPR
- Sour Grapes – Netflix – Wine Fraud Documentary – so good! (while you’re at it watch Somm & Somm 2)
- Medici – Netflix – drama on the Medici Family history – my Italy obsession continues to grow…trip soon?!
- Limetown – Podcast – creepy podcast (I am a crime buff) but I can’t stop listening!!
- Forbes Under 30 Podcast – Podcast – I have only listened to the intro but I am really excited about this one – “…is about young innovators, disruptors and entrepreneurs. This weekly show features guests who are taking big chances to achieve the not-so-small goal of changing the world.” – Forbes
*Images from Netflix & iTunes
- Ink & Volt Goals Planner – I am a SUCKER for a good planner and this one is amazing. Write goals and ideas and this planner helps you achieve – love it.
- Maine Balsam Fir Pillow – we visited Guideboat Co. in Mill Valley and this scented pillow was pure heaven – perfect for a drawer or closet!
- Chef’s Tote – I love Everlane and these totes make me want to go to the farmer’s market immediately….